Monday, March 7, 2011

Encouraging Words

Last night I talked with a dear friend about some issues I have been struggling with lately. I won't go detail but today this friend told me about this youtube video of a BYU devotional I should check out. Alone, quiet, and without interruption. Well, my best alone time is here at 2 in the morning. Everyone is asleep and I can be here without interruption. I just watched it and I got a lot from it. I wanted to share some of the parts of his talk that gave me such hope and encouragement.....

-Embrace this day with an enthusiastic welcome, no matter how it looks.
-When you are physically sick, tired, or in despair, steer your thoughts away from yourself, and direct them in gratitude and love toward God.
-In life there will be challenges, they will either bring you closer to God and make you stronger, or they will destroy you. But YOU make the decision of which road you take.
-Put all frustrations, hurt feelings, and grumblings into the perspective of your eternal hope. Light will flow into your soul.
-Avoid at all cost any pessimistic, negative, or criticizing thoughts. If you cannot cut them out, they will do you harm.
-Avoid rush and haste and uncontrolled words. Divine lights develops in places of peace and quiet.
-Be not so much concerned about what you do, but do what you do with your heart, might, and strength.
-When you are compelled to give up something or when things that are dear to you are withdrawn from you, know that this is your lesson to be learned right now. But know also that as you are learning this lesson, GOD WANTS TO GIVE YOU SOMETHING BETTER.

I hope some of these encouraging truths helped some of you as they have helped me in this trying time in my life. The Gospel is good. I'm grateful for friends who stay so close that they are able to act on the promptings to give me what I need to hear.

MUTUAL THANKS FRIEND!

6 Comments:

Blogger Spencer said...

What was the talk exactly? I am interested to know... And for myself whenever I am feeling down on myself I have a happiness journal(cheesey I know.) But what I do is I write one thing in it each day about something that I am grateful for or makes me happy.And if I happen to be feeling down on myself or something like that I always take a look at it to remind myself of all the great things I have to be happy about.

March 7, 2011 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger Cato said...

Spencer I dunno what the talk was called but the youtube video is called 'advice from elder busche'. You should look it up! But I don't think that is cheesy at all, I think it's such a good idea. Instead of writing out all your feelings at the time (which are most likely negative) and you focus on those negative feelings you have,instead you write out the happy things in life and it changes your perspective. Thanks for that!

March 7, 2011 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger kylee said...

this is precisely why i love blogging. because people share their thoughts that often need to be heard by others. thank you cato. times ten.

March 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Cato said...

Isn't that the truest? So Kylee, Juli and I have decided you need to give us blogging lessons. I need some serious help on how to set everything up. Will you help us?

March 7, 2011 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger kylee said...

i will help you anytime miss! we can have a party full of treats & blogging.

March 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger Diana Smith said...

What an awesome post! So true, thanks for the reminder!

March 7, 2011 at 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home